Top 10 Ways To Know Your Divorce Lawyer Is Not Up To Speed On Your Case
Hiring a divorce lawyer is a “buyer beware” endeavor. Here are the top 10 ways you can tell if your divorce lawyer is not up to the job.
10. Your divorce lawyer has told you he has worked up a complete resolution of your financial estate, and shows you the “spreadsheet” prepared on a greasy napkin.
9. Your divorce lawyer tells you that he has learned from the Guardian that your 16 year old son really wants to be with his Dad on a full time basis, and you and your husband only have twin 3 year old girls.
8. Your divorce lawyer tells you that the “marital residence” is actually your husband’s separate property and not part of the marital estate, and you and your husband have been living with your mother in her home for the entire marriage and don’t own a “marital residence”.
7. Your divorce lawyer strongly recommends hiring a CPA to value your husband’s business, and your husband is a career employee with the postal service.
6. Your divorce lawyer wants to hire a private investigator to catch your husband in an adulterous relationship, and your husband is on active duty in the United States Military and has been deployed to Afghanistan for the past 6 months.
5. Your divorce lawyer sends you a strongly worded letter demanding that you deposit another $10,000 into his firm’s trust account, or he will be forced to withdraw from continued representation, and you have been divorced for 2 months.
4. Your divorce lawyer wants to have a serious discussion with you about the problems with your custody case, and the kids have been with you for the entire 2 years of separation and your husband has moved to Alaska and is 15 months behind in child support.
3. Your divorce lawyer informs you, reluctantly, that your spouse will never agree to pay you alimony, and you are a Cardiologist earning $500,000 per year and have been married to a homemaker for 27 years.
2. Your divorce lawyer strongly advises you to accept the terms of a parenting plan, and you and your husband have no children.
1. You have been separated from your wife for 6 months but your divorce lawyer is still sending correspondence to you at the former residence where your wife resides.
How many of these apply to you?